1. A Andren. Production of prochymosin, pepsinogen and progastrin, and their cellular and intracellular localization in bovine abomasal mucosa. Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, 52 (Suppl. 210):59-64, 1992.
2. S Visser. Proteolytic enzymes and their action on milk proteins. A review. Netherlands Milk and Dairy Journal, 35:65-88, 1981.
3. PF Fox. Rennets and their action in cheese manufacture and ripening. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, 10:122-135, 1988.
4. TM Cogan, C Daly. Cheese starter cultures. In PF Fox. ed: Cheese: Chemistry, Physics and Microbiology. Vol 1: General Aspects, 2nd ed. London: Chapman & Hall, 1987, pp. 179-249.
5. Y Ardo. Characterizing ripening in low-fat, semi-hard round-eyed cheese made with undefined mesophilic DL-starter. International Dairy Journal, 3:343-357, 1993.
6. J Hugenholz. Population dynamics of mixed starter cultures, Netherlands Milk and Dairy Journal, 40:129-140, 1986.
7. JC de Man, TE Galesloot. [The effect of the addition of manganese to milk upon the growth of stater bacteria]. Netherlands Milk and Dairy Journal, 16:1-23, 1962.
8. Y Ardo, JC Gripon. Comparative study of peptidolysis in some semi-hard round-eyed cheese varieties with different fat content. Journal of Dairy Research, 62:543-547, 1995.
9. Y Umemoto, Y Sato, J Kito. Direct observations of fine structure of bacteria in ripened Cheddar cheese by electron microscopy. Agric. Biol. Chem., 42:227-232, 1978.
10. VL Crow, T Coolbear, R Holland, GG Pritchard, FG Martley. Starters as finishers: Starter properties relevant to cheese ripening. International Dairy Journal, 3:423-460, 1993.
11. T Langsrud, A Landaas, HB Castberg. Autolytic properties of different strains of group N streptococci. Milchwissehschaft, 42:556-560, 1987.
12. AM Lindberg, A Christiansson, EO Rukke, T Eklund, G Molin. Bacterial flora of Norweigian and Swedish semi-hard cheese after ripening with special reference to Lactobacillus. Netherlands Milk & Dairy Journal, 50:563-572, 1996.
13. PL Moller, DF Jensen, S Kask, Y Ardo, EW Nielsen, FK Vogensen. Characterisation of nonstarter lactic acid bacteria isolated from Danish cheeses. In Y Ardo, P Jelen. ed. Cheese Ripening and Technology, Abstracts of IDF Symposium held in Banff 2000, International dairy federation, Brussels, Belgium, 2000, p96.
14. M Antonsson, Y Ardo, G Molin. The spontaneous microflora and ripening of Herrgärd cheese from three different dairy plants. International Dairy Journal, 11:285-291, 2001.
15. A Reps. Bacterial surface-ripened cheeses. In PF Fox. ed: Cheese: Chemistry, Physics and Microbiology. Vol 2: Major Cheese Groups, 2 ed. London: Chapman & Hall, 1987, pp 137-172.
16. V Gagnaire, D Molle, T Sorhaug, J Leonil. Peptidases of dairy propionic acid bacteria. Lait, 79:43-57, 1999.
17. Y Ardo, PO Larsson, H Lindmark Mänsson, A Hedenberg. Studies of peptidolysis during early maturation and its influence on low-fat cheese quality. Milchwissenschaft, 44:485-490, 1989.
18. Y Ardo. Cheese ripening. General mechanisms and specific cheese varieteis. Bulletin of the International Dairy Federation, 369:7-12, 2001.
19. KR Kristiansen, AS Deding, DF Jensen, Y Ardo, KB Qvist. Influence of salt content on ripening of semi-hard round-eyed cheese of Danbo-type. Milchwissenschaft, 54:19-23, 1999.
20. PST Tan, B Poolman, WN Konings. Proteolytic enzymes of Lactococcus lactis. Journal of Dairy Research, 60:269-286, 1993.
21. J. Law, A Haandrikman. Proteolytic enzymes of lactic acid bacteria. Review article. International Dairy Journal, 7:1-11, 1997.
22. FA Exterkate, FM Lagerwerf, J Haverkamp, S van Schalkwijk. The selectivity of chymosin action on as1- and h-caseins in solution is modulated in cheese. International Dairy Journal, 7:42-54, 1997.
23. TK Singh, JC Gripon, PF Fox. Chromatographic analysis and identification of peptides in cheese. Bulletin of the International Dairy Federation, 337:17-23, 1999.
24. MJ Sousa, Y Ardo, PLH Mcsweeney. Advances in the study of proteolysis during cheese ripening. International Dairy Journal, 11:327-345, 2001.
25. JE Christensen, EG Dudley, JA Pederson, JL Steele. Peptidases and amino acid catabolism in lactic acid bacteria. Antoine van Leeuwenhoek, 76:217-246, 1999.
26. ERS Kunji, I Mierau, A Hagting, B Poolman, WN Konings. The proteolytic system of lactic acid bacteria. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, 70:187-221, 1996.
27. Y Ardo, BV Thage, JS Madsen. Dynamics of free amino acid composition in cheese ripening. The Australian Journal of Dairy Technology, 57:109-115, 2002.
28. M Yvon, L Rijnen. Cheese flavour formation by amino acid catabolism. International Dairy Journal, 11:185-201, 2001.
29. M Yvon, S Berthelot, JC Gripon. Adding a-ketoglutarate to semi-hard cheese curd highly enhances the conversion of amino acids to aroma compounds. International Dairy Journal, 8:889898, 1998.
30. G Smit, JET van Hyckama Vlieg, BA Smit, EHE Ayad, WJM Engels. Fermentative formation of flavour compounds by lactic acid bacteria. The Australian Journal of Dairy Technology, 57:61-68, 2002.
31. M Nomura, H Kimot, Y Someya, S Furukawa, I Suzuki. Production of gamma-aminobutyric acid by cheese starters during cheese ripening. Journal of Dairy Science 81:1486-1491, 1998.
32. S Skeie, Y Ardo. Influence from raw milk flora on cheese ripening studied by different treatments of milk to model cheese. Lebensmittel - Wissenshaft und - Technology, 33:499-505, 2000.
33. M Antonsson, G Molin, Y Ardo. Lactobacillus strains isolated from Danbo cheese and their function as adjunct cultures in a cheese model system. International Journal of Food Microbiology 85:159-169, 2003.
34. BA Law, ME Sharpe, B Reiter, The release of intracellular dipeptidase from starter streptococci during Cheddar cheese ripening. Journal of Dairy Research, 41:137-146, 1974.
35. BA Law, MJ Castarnon, M.E Sharpe. The contribution of starter streptococci to flavour development in Cheddar cheese. Journal of Dairy Research, 43:301-311, 1976.
36. R Bie, G Sjostrom. Autolytic properties of some lactic acid bacteria used in cheese production. Part I. Material and methods. Milchwissenschaft, 30:653-657, 1975.
37. R Bie, G Sjostrom. Autolytic properties of some lactic acid bacteria used in cheese production. Part II. Experiments with fluid substrate and cheese. Milchwissenschaft, 30:739-747, 1975.
38. MG Wilkinson, TP Guinee, PF Fox. Factors which may influence the determination of autoly-sis of starter bacteria during Cheddar cheese ripening. International Dairy Journal, 4:141-160, 1994.
39. MP Chapot-Chartier, C Deniel, M Rousseau, L Vassal, JC Gripon. Autolysis of two strains of Lactococcus lactis during cheese ripening. International Dairy Journal, 4:251-269, 1994.
40. C Nickels, H Leesment. Methode zur Differenzierung und quantitativen Bestimmung von Säureweckerbakterien. Milchwissenschaft, 19:374-378, 1964.
41. FK Vogensen, T Karst, JJ Larsen, B Kringelum, D Ellekjaer, EW Nielsen. 1987. Improved direct differentiation between Leuconostoc cremoris, Streptococcus lactis subsp. diacetylactis, and Streptococcus cremoris I Streptococcus lactis on agar. Milchwissenschaft, 42:646-648, 1987.
Was this article helpful?