1. F Toldra. The enzymology of dry-curing of meat products. In: JM Smulders, F Toldra, J Flores, M. Prieto, eds. New technologies for meat and meat products. Nijmegen, The Netherlands: Audet, 1992, pp. 209-231.
2. F Toldra, M Flores, JL Navarro, MC Aristoy, M Flores. New developments in dry-cured ham. In: H Okai, O Mills, AM Spanier, M Tamura, eds. Chemistry of novel foods. Carol Stream, IL: Allured Pub. Co., 1997, pp. 259-272.
3. F Toldra. Dry-cured meat products. Trumbull, CT: Food & Nutrition Press, 2002.
4. E Puolanne. Dry cured hams—European style. Proceedings of the Reciprocal Meat Conference Vol. 35, Blacksburg, Virginia, 1982, pp. 49-52.
5. G. Campbell-Platt. Fermented meats—A world perspective. In: G Campbell-Platt, PE Cook, eds. Fermented meats. London, UK: Blackie Academic & Professional, 1995, pp. 39-52.
6. F Toldra, M Reig, P Hernandez, JL Navarro. Lipids from pork meat as related to a healthy diet. Recent Res Devel Nutr 1: 79-86, 1996.
7. E Armero, M Flores, F Toldra, JA Barbosa, J Olivet, M Pla, M Baselga. Effects of pig sire types and sex on carcass traits, meat quality and sensory quality of dry-cured ham. J Sci Food Agric 79: 1147-1154, 1999.
8. J Arnau, L Guerrero, G Casademont, P Gou. Physical and chemical changes in different zones of normal and PSE dry cured ham during processing. Food Chem 52: 63-69, 1995.
9. F Toldra, M Flores, MC Aristoy, R Virgili, G Parolari. Pattern of muscle proteolytic and lipolytic enzymes from light and heavy pigs. J Sci Food Agric 71:124-128, 1996.
10. CM Rosell, F Toldra. Comparison of muscle proteolytic and lipolytic enzyme levels in raw hams from Iberian and White pigs. J Sci Food Agric 76: 117-122, 1998.
11. RG Cassens. Use of sodium nitrite in cured meats today. Food Technol 49: 72-81, 1995.
12. G Parolari. Review: Achievements, needs and perspectives in dry-cured ham technology: the example of Parma ham. Food Sci Tech Int 2: 69-78, 1996.
13. AM Spanier, M Flores, F Toldra. Flavor differences due to processing in dry-cured and other ham products using conducting polymers (electronic nose). In: F Shahihi, C-T Ho, eds. Flavor chemistry of ethnic foods. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publ., 1999, pp. 169-183.
14. F Toldra, M Flores, Y Sanz. Meat fermentation technology. In: YH Hui, WK Nip, RW Rogers, OA Young, eds. Meat science and applications. New York: Marcel Dekker, 2001, pp. 537-561.
15. F Toldra, DJ Etherington. Examination of cathepsins B, D, H and L activities in dry cured hams. Meat Sci 23: 1-7, 1988.
16. I Molina, F Toldra. Detection of proteolytic activity in microorganisms isolated from dry-cured ham. J Food Sci 57:1308-1310, 1992.
17. S Fadda, Y Sanz, G Vignolo, MC Aristoy, G Oliver, F Toldra. Hydrolysis of pork muscle sarcoplasmic proteins by Lactobacillus curvatus and Lactobacillus sake. Appl Environ Microbiol 65: 578-584, 1999.
18. S Fadda, Y Sanz, G Vignolo, MC Aristoy, G Oliver, F Toldra. Characterization of muscle sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar protein hydrolysis caused by Lactobacillus plantarum. Appl Environ Microbiol 65: 3540-3546, 1999.
Y Sanz, S Fadda, G Vignolo, MC Aristoy, G Oliver, F Toldra. Hydrolytic action of Lactobacillus casei CRL 705 on pork muscle sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar proteins. J Agric Food Chem 47: 3441-3448, 1999.
Y Sanz, S Fadda, G Vignolo, MC Aristoy, G Oliver, F Toldra. Hydrolysis of muscle myofibrillar proteins by Lactobacillus curvatus and Lactobacillus sake. Int J Food Microbiol 53: 115-125, 1999.
F Nunez, MM Rodriguez, ME Bermudez, JJ Cordoba, MA Asensio. Composition and toxigenic potential of the mould population of dry-cured Iberian ham. Int J Food Microbiol 32: 185-197, 1996.
F Nunez, MM Rodriguez, JJ Cordoba, ME Bermudez, MA Asensio. Yeast population during ripening of dry-cured Iberian ham. Int J Food Microbiol 29: 271-280, 1996. M Bellatti, G Dazzi, R Chizzolini, F Palmia, G Parolari. Modifications chimiques et physiques des proteins au cours de la maturation du jambon de Parme. Viandes Prod Carnees 6: 142-145, 1985.
F Toldra. Proteolysis and lipolysis in flavour development of dry-cured meat products. Meat Sci 49: S101-110, 1998.
S Buscailhon, JL Berdague, G Gandemer, C Touraille, G Monin. Effects of initial pH on compositional changes and sensory traits of French dry-cured hams. J Muscle Foods 5: 257-270, 1994.
E Armero, JA Barbosa, F Toldra, M Baselga, M Pla. Effect of the terminal sire and sex on pork muscle cathepsin (B, B + L and H), cysteine proteinase inhibitors and lipolytic enzyme activities. Meat Sci 51: 185-189, 1999.
F Toldra, E Rico, J Flores. Cathepsin B, D, H and L activity in the processing of dry-cured-ham. J Sci Food Agric 62: 157-161, 1993.
E Rico, F Toldra, J Flores. Activity of cathepsin D as affected by chemical and physical dry-curing parameters. Z Lebensm Unters Forsch 191: 20-23, 1990.
E Rico, F Toldra, J Flores. Effect of dry-curing process parameters on pork muscle cathepsins B, H and L activities. Z Lebensm Unters Forsch 193: 541-544, 1991.
F Toldra, MC Cervero, C Part. Porcine aminopeptidase activity as affected by curing agents. J Food Sci 58: 724-726, 747, 1992.
F Toldra, E Rico, J Flores. Activities of pork muscle proteases in cured meats. Biochimie 74: 291296, 1992.
G Parolari, R Virgili, C Schivazzappa. Relationship between cathepsin B activity and compositional parameters in dry-cured hams of normal and defective texture. Meat Sci 38: 117-122, 1994.
JA García-Garrido, R Quiles, J Tapiador, MD Luque. Activity of cathepsin B, D, H and L in Spanish dry-cured ham of normal and defective texture. Meat Sci 56: 1-6, 2000. MC Aristoy, F Toldra. Isolation of flavor peptides from raw pork meat and dry-cured ham. In: G Charalambous, ed. Food Flavors: Generation, Analysis and Process Influence. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science Publishers BV, 1995, pp. 1323-1344.
E Rodriguez-Nunez, MC Aristoy, F Toldra. Peptide generation in the processing of dry-cured ham. Food Chem 53: 187-190, 1995.
M Flores, MC Aristoy, AM Spanier, F Toldra. Non-volatile components effects on quality of Serrano dry-cured ham as related to processing time. J Food Sci 62: 1235-1239, 1997. MA Sentandreu, MA Stoeva, MC Aristoy, K Laib, W Voelter, F Toldra. Identification of taste related peptides in Spanish Serrano dry-cured hams. J Food Sci 68: 64-69, 2003. MA Sentandreu, F Toldra. Dipeptidylpeptidase activities along the processing of Serrano dry-cured ham. Eur Food Res Technol 213: 83-87, 2001.
MC Aristoy, F Toldra. Deproteinization techniques for HPLC amino acid analysis in fresh pork muscle and dry-cured ham. J Agric Food Chem 39: 1792-1795, 1991.
JJ Cordoba, T Antequera, C Garcia, J Ventanas, C Lopez-Bote, MA Asensio. Evolution of free amino acids and amines during ripening of Iberian cured ham. J Agric Food Chem 42: 22962301, 1994.
F Toldrâ, MC Aristoy, M Flores. Contribution of muscle aminopeptidases to flavor development in dry-cured ham. Food Res Int 33: 181-185, 2000.
F Toldrâ, M Flores, MC Aristoy. Enzyme generation of free amino acids and its nutritional significance in processed pork meats. In: Charalambous, ed. Food Flavors: Generation, Analysis and Process Influence, G. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science Publishers BV, 1995, pp. 1303-1322.
CM Rosell, F Toldrâ. Effect of curing agents on m-calpain activity throughout the curing process. Z Lebensm Unters Forchs 203: 320-325, 1996.
MA Sentandreu, F Toldrâ. Purification and biochemical properties of dipeptidylpeptidase I from porcine skeletal muscle. J Agric Food Chem 48: 5014-5022, 2000.
MA Sentandreu, F Toldrâ. Importance of dipeptidylpeptidase II in postmortem pork muscle. Meat Sci 57: 93-103,2001.
MA Sentandreu, F Toldrâ. Biochemical properties of dipeptidylpeptidase III purified from porcine skeletal muscle. J Agric Food Chem 46: 3977-3984, 1998.
MA Sentandreu, F Toldrâ. Dipeptidylpeptidase IV from porcine skeletal muscle: purification and biochemical properties. Food Chem 75: 159-168, 2001.
M Flores, M Marina, F Toldrâ. Purification and characterization of a soluble methionyl amino-peptidase from porcine skeletal muscle. Meat Sci 56:247-254, 2000.
M Flores, MC Aristoy, F Toldrâ. HPLC purification and characterization of soluble alanyl aminopeptidase from porcine skeletal muscle. J Agric Food Chem 44: 2578-2583, 1996. M Flores, MC Aristoy, F Toldrâ. Curing agents affect aminopeptidase activity from porcine skeletal muscle. Z Lebensm Unters Forsch 205: 343-346, 1997.
M Flores, MC Aristoy, F Toldrâ. HPLC purification and characterization of porcine muscle aminopptidase B. Biochimie 75: 861-867, 1993.
MJ Motilva, F Toldrâ, J Flores. Assay of lipase and esterase activities in fresh pork meat and dry-cured ham. Z Lebensm Unters Forsch 195: 446-450, 1992.
MJ Motilva, F Toldrâ, P Nieto, J Flores. Muscle lipolysis phenomena in the processing of dry-cured ham. Food Chem 48: 121-125, 1993.
MJ Motilva, F Toldrâ, MC Aristoy, J Flores. Subcutaneous adipose tissue lipolysis in the processing of dry-cured ham. J Food Biochem 16: 323-335, 1993.
MJ Motilva, F Toldrâ. Effect of curing agents and water activity on pork muscle and adipose subcutaneous tissue lipolytic activity. Z Lebensm Unters Forsch 196: 228-231, 1993. S Buscailhon, G Gandemer, G Monin. Time-related changes in intramuscular lipids of French dry-cured ham. Meat Sci 37: 245-255, 1994.
C Coutron-Gambotti, G Gandemer. Lipolysis and oxidation in subcutaneous adipose tissue during dry-cured ham processing. Food Chem 64: 95-101, 1999.
S Buscailhon, JL Berdague, G Monin. Time-related changes in volatile compounds of lean tissue during processing of French dry-cured ham. J Sci Food Agric 63: 69-75, 1993. DA Lillard. Chemical changes involved in the oxidation of lipids in foods. In: MK de Supran. Lipids as a source of flavor. ACS Symp. Series 75, Washington DC, 1978, pp. 68-80. JL Berdague, C Denoyer, JC le Queré, E Semon. Volatile compounds of dry-cured ham. J Agric Food Chem 39: 1257-1261, 1991.
M Flores, AM Spanier, F Toldrâ. Flavour analysis of dry-cured ham. In: F. Shahidi de. Flavor of meat, meat products and seafoods. London, UK: Blackie Academic & Professional, 1998, pp. 320-341.
DA Lillard, JC Ayres. Flavor compounds in Country cured hams. Food Technol 23: 117-120, 1969.
S Buscailhon, JL Berdague;, J Bousset, M Cornet, G Gandemer, C Touraille, G Monin. Relations between compositional traits and sensory qualities of French dry-cured ham. Meat Sci 37: 229243, 1994.
M Flores, CC Grimm, F Toldrâ, AM Spanier. Correlations of sensory and volatile compounds of
Spanish Serrano dry-cured ham as a function of two processing times. J Agric Food Chem 45: 2178-2186, 1997.
M Flores, CC Grimm, F Toldrâ, AM Spanier. Correlations of sensory and volatile compounds of Spanish Serrano dry-cured ham as a function of two processing times. J Agric Food Chem 45: 2178-2186, 1997.
M Careri, A Mangia, G Barbieri, L Bolzoni, R Virgili, G Parolari. Sensory property relationships to chemical data of Italian type dry-cured ham. J Food Sci 58: 968-972, 1993. D Laborde, A Talmant, G Monin. Activités enzymatiques métaboliques et contractiles de 30 muscles du porc. Relations avec le pH ultime atteint après la mort. Reprod. Nutr. Develop. 25: 619-628, 1985.
MC Aristoy, F Toldra. Concentration of free amino acids and dipeptides in porcine skeletal muscles with different oxidative patterns. Meat Sci 50: 327-332, 1998.
JC Frentz, P Zert. L'encyclopedie de la charcuterie. Dictionnaire encyclopédique de la charcuterie. 3rd ed., Orly, Paris: Soussana, 1990, pp. 435.
G Tabilo, M Flores, S Fiszman, F Toldra. Postmortem meat quality and sex affect textural properties and protein breakdown of dry-cured ham. Meat Sci 51: 255-260, 1999. G Monin, P Marinova, A Talmant, JF Martin, M Cornet, D Lanore, F Grasso. Chemical and structural changes in dry-cured hams (Bayonne hams) during processing and effects of the dehairing technique. Meat Sci 47: 29-46, 1997.
J Ruiz, J Ventanas, R Cava, AJ Andrés, C Garcia. Texture and appearance of dry cured hams as affected by fat content and fatty acid composition. Food Res Int 33: 91-95, 2000. I Martin, JJ Cordoba, T Antequera, ML Timon, J Ventanas. Effects of salt and temperature on proteolysis during ripening of Iberian ham. Meat Sci 49: 145-153, 1998.
G Parolari, R Virgili, C Schivazzappa. Relationship between cathepsin B activity and compositional parameters in dry-cured ham of normal and defective texture. Meat Sci 38: 117-122,1994. M Flores, Y Sanz, AM Spanier, MC Aristoy, F Toldra. Contribution of muscle and microbial aminopeptidases to flavor development in dry-cured meat products. In: Contis et al., eds. Food Flavor: Generation, Analysis and Process Influence. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science BV, 1998, pp. 547-557.
GR McCain, TN Blumer, HB Craig, RG Steel. Free amino acids in ham muscle during successive aging periods and their relation to flavor. J Food Sci 33: 142-146, 1968. M Flores, DA Ingram, KL Bett, F Toldra, AM Spanier. Sensory characteristics of Spanish ''Serrano'' dry-cured ham. J Sensory Stud 12: 169-179, 1997.
C Garcia, JL Berdague, T Antequera, C Lopez-bote, JJ Cordoba, J Ventanas. 1991. Volatile compounds of dry cured Iberian ham. Food Chem. 41, 23-32.
J Ruiz, J Ventanas, R Cava, A Andrés, C Garcia. Volatile compounds of dry-cured Iberian ham as affected by the length of the curing process. Meat Sci 52: 19-27, 1999.
E Sabio, MC Vidal-Aragon, MJ Bernalte, JL Gata. Volatile compounds present in six types of dry-cured ham from south European countries. Food Chem 61: 493-503, 1998. F Toldra, M Flores. The role of muscle proteases and lipases in flavor development during the processing of dry-cured ham. CRC Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 38: 331-352, 1998. L Bolzoni, G Barbieri, R Virgili. Changes in volatile compounds of Parma ham during maturation. Meat Sci 43: 301-310, 1996.
LL Hinrichsen, SB Pedersen. Relationship among flavor, volatile compounds, chemical changes and microflora in Italian-type dry-cured ham during processing. J Agric Food Chem 43: 29322940, 1995.
RE Montgomery, JD Kemp, JD Fox. Shrinkage, palatability, and chemical characteristics of dry-cured country ham as affected by skinning procedure. J Food Sci 41: 1110-1115, 1976. JD Kemp, DFO Abidoye, BE Langlois, JB Franklin, JD Fox. Effect of curing ingredients, skinning, and boning on yield, quality, and microflora of country hams. J Food Sci 45: 174177, 1980.
NG Marriott, JB Tracy, RF Kelly, PP Graham. Accelerated processing of boneless hams to dry-cured state. J Food Prot 46: 717-721, 1983.
87. NG Marriott, RF Kelly, CK Shaffer, PP Graham, JW Boling. Accelerated dry curing of hams. MeatSci 15: 51-62, 1985.
88. FW Leak, JD Kemp, BE Langlois, JD Fox. Effect of tumbling and tumbling time on quality and microflora of dry-cured hams. J Food Sci 49: 695-698, 1984.
89. NG Marriott, PP Graham, JR Claus. Accelerated dry curing of pork legs (hams): a review. J Muscle Foods 3: 159-168, 1992.
90. JB Smallings, JD Kemp, JD Fox, WG Moody. Effect of antemortem injection of papain on the tenderness and quality of dry-cured hams. J Anim Sci 32: 1107-1112, 1992.
91. NG Marriott, PP Graham, CK Shaffer, SK Phelps. Accelerated production of dry cured hams. Meat Sci 19: 53-64, 1987.
92. JD Kemp, BE Langlois, AE Johnson. Effect of pre-cure freezing and thawing on the microflora, fat characteristics and palatability of dry-cured ham. J Food Prot 45: 244-248, 1982.
93. MJ Motilva, F Toldra, MI Nadal, J Flores. Pre-freezing hams affects hydrolysis during dry-curing. J Food Sci 59: 303-305, 1994.
Was this article helpful?