most often used for cakes, cookies, and pastries. It is the protein than provides the support matrix necessary to retain the carbon dioxide made during fermentation.Therefore, in bread making, protein content has a major impact on dough expansion and loaf volume.

The protein fraction actually contains several different proteins. The most important of these are gliadin and glutenin, which account for 85% of the total protein. When gliadin and glutenin are hydrated and mixed, they form a complex called gluten, which is a key component of bread dough. The remaining proteins (15% of the total) consist of other globulins and albumins. Several enzymes are also present, in particular, a-amylase and p-amylase, that both play an important role (discussed below).

Was this article helpful?

0 0
Brew Your Own Beer

Brew Your Own Beer

Discover How To Become Your Own Brew Master, With Brew Your Own Beer. It takes more than a recipe to make a great beer. Just using the right ingredients doesn't mean your beer will taste like it was meant to. Most of the time it’s the way a beer is made and served that makes it either an exceptional beer or one that gets dumped into the nearest flower pot.

Get My Free Ebook

Post a comment