10. Close the collection valve in the still-head, run cooling water through the condenser and switch on the boiler. Be present when it comes to the boil to reduce heat input if necessary.
11. Reflux for several hours to equilibrate column. Check temperature. Periodically draw off a few ml. of distillate and sniff it to detect presence of "heads". Put aside for future use as fondue fuel.
12. When no more heads can be detected and temperature is staying constant in 78 - 79 oC. range, collect 300 ml. or so of distillate (at the predetermined rate of 1/10th total reflux) and put to one side for future redistillation.
13. Start collecting product until you know from previous experience that ethanol production will soon begin to cease. This collection will probably last 15 to 20 hours. Switch receivers towards the end and put aside for redistillation any receivers contaminated with tails.
14. Switch off, drain boiler, and flush out column from the top down with boiling water.
Was this article helpful?
Acai, Maqui And Many Other Popular Berries That Will Change Your Life And Health. Berries have been demonstrated to be some of the healthiest foods on the planet. Each month or so it seems fresh research is being brought out and new berries are being exposed and analyzed for their health giving attributes.